Time to bid adios to Ave Maria and head back to Chicago but before we leave Florida completely Tuesday night, the team takes on the Columbus Crew Wednesday morning. Be sure to watch the live webcast of the match beginning at 10:30am CT on Chicago-Fire.com.
Until then, here are some notes leading up to the match…
Signed players available: 16
- Players missing: Sean Johnson (USMNT camp), Arne Friedrich (will join in California), Corben Bone (Atletico Madrid), Victor Pineda (meniscus recovery), Kellen Gulley and Tony Walls.
- Speaking of Sean Johnson, a big congrats to him on earning his first start, going the full 90 minutes and earning a clean sheet in the U.S. Men's National Team's 0-0 draw with Canada Tuesday night in Houston.
WATCH: Klopas talks Phase One of Camp
- Though he might not have known much about it, Johnson made the Save of the Game on Dwayne DeRosario's rocketing effort in the sixth minute. Watch full highlights here.
- Defender Tony Walls hasn’t yet officially been waived while Kellen Gulley remains out of camp as the club seeks a potential loan for him.
- Forward Maicon Santos did not train on Tuesday and will likely be kept out of Wednesday’s friendly with an undisclosed injury.
- Midfielder Patrick Nyarko continues to do conditioning but hasn’t trained in full with the team in Ave Maria. He’ll once again be unavailable for Wednesday’s match.
- Goalkeeper Paolo Tornaghi has trained since Friday but the coaching staff is looking to evaluate the list of trialing goalkeepers as they look to fill the third spot on the roster. Don’t expect to see the Italian ‘keeper on Wednesday.
- After appearing there on Sunday, don’t be shocked to see captain Logan Pause start once again at right back for the Fire. The veteran has played on the backline at various times in his 11-year Fire career. Asked about it Tuesday, Pause said, “I feel more than comfortable playing at right back.”
- Trialing Fire defender Rich Balchan (pictured right above) spent two years with Columbus, appearing in 19 matches in 2011 before sports hernia issues kept him out for all of 2012.
- On Tuesday's conference call, Frank Klopas acknowledged there were talks between the two clubs at the MLS SuperDraft in Indianapolis for the Fire to acquire Crew midfielder Dilly Duka. The third-year Fire manager said the deal was, "Something that might get finalized and might not."
Signed Players eligible for selection:
Goalkeepers (1): Paolo Tornaghi
Defenders (6): Jalil Anibaba, Austin Berry, Hunter Jumper, Steven Kinney, Gonzalo Segares, Michael Videira
Midfielders (6): Alex, Jeff Larentowicz, Joel Lindpere, Daniel Paladini, Logan Pause, Wells Thompson
Forwards (3): Sherjill MacDonald, Dominic Oduro, Chris Rolfe
- Open Tryout winner Sam Archer departed Fire training camp Monday to go on trial with Icelandic club Íþróttabandalag Akraness.
- Trialing goalkeeper Ian Joyce departed Ave Maria Tuesday afternoon.
- The famed Trialist #1 picked up an undisclosed injury during Sunday's game vs. FGCU and hasn't trained this week. Though he remains in camp, don't expect to see him play on Wednesday morning.
- On Tuesday’s weekly conference call, Fire head coach Frank Klopas confirmed 2013 MLS SuperDraft selection Yazid Atouba as well as trialing defender Rauwshan McKenzie and forward Colin Rolfe would travel with the team to the second phase of preseason in Ventura, Calif.
- Klopas also said most decisions on players continuing with the team to California were made, though the technical staff could use Wednesday’s game to further evaluate Supplemental Draft picks John Gallagher, James Belshaw and Caleb Konstanski.
Eleven unsigned players remain in camp ahead of Wednesday’s game vs. Columbus:
Goalkeepers (3): James Belshaw**, Alec Kann, Trialist #2
Defenders (5): Rich Balchan, John Gallagher**, Caleb Konstanski**, Rauwshan McKenzie, Eric Robertson
Midfielders (1): Yazid Atouba*
Forwards (2): Colin Rolfe, Trialist #1
*- MLS SuperDraft selection, **MLS Supplemental Draft selection
- Wednesday’s friendly will be played with two 45-minute halves.
- It will also stream LIVE at 10:30am CT at Chicago-Fire.com/live.