First Kick might be less than a week away, but the Chicago Fire still aren’t done finalizing their roster.
The team currently has 25 players under contract. Technical Director Frank Klopas told MLSsoccer.com Monday that that total will move to 28 in the next couple of days. The technical staff has already decided who players 26 and 27 are (they’re waiting on paperwork to clear before announcing any names) but are in the process of figuring out who will occupy the final roster spot.
“We’ll be making two player announcements shortly,” Klopas said. “Still haven’t decided who the third guy will be, but we’re pretty close.”
Klopas hinted that the final player could be an international forward.
“We looked at a lot of guys [internationally and domestically],” he said. “It’s all about certain things happening and some of those are not always in our control.”
The Fire had 31 players in camp during last week’s Carolina Challenge Cup in Charleston, S.C. Unsigned players included draft pick Davis Paul and trialists Pari Pantazapolous, Michael Muniz and Gabriel Ferrari.
Sam Stejskal covers the Chicago Fire for MLSsoccer.com. Email him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @samstejskal.