The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced today that the club will continue its expansive green initiatives and promotion of environmentally friendly policies on and off the pitch, beginning the week of Earth Day and continuing throughout the 2010 MLS season. The Fire will host a “Fire Goes Green” match against the Houston Dynamo at TOYOTA PARK on Saturday, April 24th 7:30 PM CT that will debut the Fire’s 2010 efforts for a more sustainable future.
To help beautify TOYOTA PARK, celebrate Earth Day and promote a more eco-friendly environment in the community, Fire players and staff, in conjunction with Chicago Gateway Green, MLS W.O.R.K.S. and the Village of Bridgeview will plant 40 trees at TOYOTA PARK on Thursday, April 22 beginning at Noon.
On Saturday, April 24th, the club will host the “Fire Goes Green” game, when the Fire take on the Houston Dynamo at TOYOTA PARK at 7:30 PM CT. The Fire will wear commemorative uniforms featuring unique colored name and numbers, and a special patch to help highlight the “going green” initiatives throughout the game. Fans attending the Fire - Dynamo match will have an opportunity to bid on these game-worn, commemorative Fire jerseys from each member of the team. Each winner will be given the opportunity to have the Fire player personally autograph the game worn jersey after the game. All proceeds benefit the Chicago Fire Foundation. For more information contact the Chicago Fire Foundation at 708-496-6740.
In an effort to promote environmental sustainability, the Fire will provide a number of eco-friendly solutions to its match day experience.
- Upon entry to the match, the first 5,000 Fire fans will receive reusable bags courtesy of MLS W.O.R.K.S. and Kick10 Promotions and an eco-tip wallet guide.
- The Fire will provide Pepsi and Miller sponsored recycling bins around the stadium to promote recycling at all games and events at TOYOTA PARK moving forward.
- The Fire will purchase energy credits to off-set the carbon footprint for the energy used to produce the match at TOYOTA PARK.
- The Fire will distribute game programs made from recycled paper.
- Levy Restaurants, the Fire’s in-stadium concession provider, will produce a “Farm to Fork” sustainable menu, as a dining option in Club Suites and the Stadium Club.
- Upon exit, fans will receive an additional reusable bag courtesy of Aldi, CFL light bulbs and flower seed packets as a “green give away” to expand the ‘greener’ game-day experience outside of the gates of TOYOTA PARK.
The Fire will team up in the community with the Chicago Group of Sierra Club for a Beach Clean-up at Montrose Beach on Saturday, April 17. People of all ages are welcome to participate in cleaning and beautifying this beach from 9 AM to 12 noon CT. For more information, please click here http://illinois.sierraclub.org/chicago/.
Fans can purchase tickets for the “Fire Goes Green” game by visiting the club’s website at www.chicago-fire.com, or calling 1-888-MLS-FIRE (657-3473).