Chicago Fire Head to Pacific Northwest to Battle the Portland Timbers
CHICAGO FIRE FACE PORTLAND TIMBERS IN SECOND MATCH OF SEASON
The Chicago Fire (0-1-0, 0 points) head to the Pacific Northwest to face the Portland Timbers (0-0-1, 1 point) at Providence Park in Portland, Ore. on Sunday, March 16 at 2:00 p.m. CT (My50/TWCSC Wisconsin/La Ley).
This is the first and only meeting between the two sides during the MLS Regular Season this year. Last season, the Fire came back from two goals down to earn a 2-2 draw at Toyota Park on June 8, 2013.
The Fire are 0-2-0 in matches played in Portland. The Fire fell 4-2 on April 14, 2011 and 2-1 on May 20, 2012.
The Timbers enter the match after a 1-1 draw in their season opener against the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, March 8. Gaston Fernandez’s 93rd minute equalizer gave the Timbers a share of the points.
CHICAGO FIRE TRAINING SCHEDULE: March 11 – March 17
Tuesday, March 11 Training 1:00 p.m. PT – StubHub Center – Carson, Calif.^
Wednesday, March 12 Training 10:30 a.m. PT – StubHub Center – Carson, Calif.^
Thursday, March 13 Training 10:30 a.m. PT – StubHub Center – Carson, Calif.^
Friday, March 14 Training 1:00 p.m. PT – Providence Park – Portland, Ore.^
Saturday, March 15 Training 1:00 p.m. PT – Providence Park – Portland, Ore.^
Sunday, March 16 Chicago Fire at Portland Timbers – 2:00 p.m. CT - Providence Park – Portland, Ore. – My50/TWCSC Wisconsin/La Ley
Monday, March 17 Return to Chicago
^Media members interested in attending training are asked to contact Eunice Kim at email@example.com Times are subject to change.
CHICAGO FIRE AT PORTLAND TIMBERS
- The Fire are 0-3-1 all-time in regular season matches against the Portland Timbers, including a 0-2-0 record in matches played in the Pacific Northwest.
- Fire defender Lovel Palmer will face his former club on Sunday. Traded to the Timbers on July 21, 2011, Palmer made 34 appearances and tallied one assist over the course of two seasons before joining Real Salt Lake in 2013.
- Palmer was one of three players to make their Fire debut on Sunday, March 9. Joining Palmer were Jhon Kennedy Hurtado and Benji Joya.
- Joya, who entered the match in the 63rd minute, scored the first Fire goal of the 2014 season with his first touch of the match. Joya’s goal, scored 49 seconds after he entered, marks the 7th fastest goal as a substitute since the start of the 2007 MLS season.
- Joya becomes the 10th Fire player to score in his debut appearance for the club.
FRANK YALLOP CONFERENCE CALL
Chicago Fire Head Coach and Director of Soccer Frank Yallop will be available for a media conference call on Thursday, March 13 at 3:00 p.m. CT to discuss Fire’s upcoming match against the Timbers.
Media can access the conference call by calling (605) 475-6700 and entering the access code 849-1140. Media members interested in participating in the call are asked to RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHICAGO FIRE HOST OPENING DAY ON MARCH 23
The Fire will host 2013 MLS Supporters’ Shield winners New York Red Bulls for Opening Day at Toyota Park, presented by Giordano’s Chicago Pizza, on Sunday, March 23 at 2:00 p.m. CT.
Single game tickets to the Fire’s 17 MLS Regular Season home matches and to the July 26 international friendly against Barclay’s Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur FC are now available via Ticketmaster and www.Chicago-Fire.com.
Throughout the season, Fire fans that enter Toyota Park early will have the first chance at exciting giveaways including a team poster on Opening Day, presented by Giordano’s Chicago Pizza, a Fire scarf on April 19 vs. the New England Revolution, a Fire flag on July 19 at the Fire vs. Philadelphia Union match presented by Cricket Wireless, and dog tags for Military Appreciation Night, presented by TrueCar, when the Fire host the Columbus Crew on Aug. 2.
Fire fans can take advantage of concession discounts on select nights including $2 hot dogs on April 19, July 2 and Oct. 5. Fire fans 21 years and older can enjoy $2 beer on March 23, May 3 and Oct. 5.
Additional promotions and giveaways will be announced on a later date.
The Fire’s full season schedule can be found here.