Chicago Fire Earn Three Crucial Road Points with 3-2 Victory Over FC Dallas
Goals from Anangono, Magee and an Anibaba wonderstrike lead Fire to a road win
October 13, 2013
Chicago Fire Communications
FRISCO, Texas (Saturday, Oct. 12, 2013) – The Chicago Fire (13-12-7, 46 points) defeated FC Dallas (10-11-11, 41 points) 3-2 Saturday evening at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. First half goals from Juan Luis Anangono and Mike Magee combined with a Jalil Anibaba 52nd minute bending goal to give the Men in Red the 3-0 lead. FC Dallas pulled two goals back courtesy of a Kenny Cooper brace but the Men in Red held on for the crucial road victory.
The Fire return home to take on Toronto FC in a match Presented by University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System at Toyota Park on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m. CT (My50/TWCSC Wisconsin/La Ley 107.9).
Tickets for the Chicago Fire vs. Toronto FC match are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire, by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com or Ticketmaster. The first 5,000 fans in the stadium will receive a limited edition pink rally towel.
- With tonight’s victory the Fire moved into the fifth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The Fire are tied on points with the Montreal Impact and Philadelphia Union, but hold the first tiebreaker over the Union, which is games won.
- Magee’s goal in the 42nd minute was his 19th of the season, moving him into a tie with Montreal Impact forward Marco Di Vaio atop the MLS Golden Boot standings.
- With his appearance in tonight’s match, Patrick Nyarko moved past Diego Gutierrez and into ninth on the club’s all-time MLS Regular Season appearance list at 158.
- Jalil Anibaba’s wonderstrike in the 51st minute is the University of North Carolina product’s first goal of the 2013 season and the fourth of his three-year professional career.
- The Fire were without the services of midfielders Joel Lindpere (Estonia) and Egidio Arevalo Rios (Uruguay) who are with their respective countries for FIFA World Cup Qualifying matches. Lindpere was an unused sub in Estonia’s 2-0 loss to Turkey Oct. 11. Estonia face Romania Oct. 15 at Arena Națională in Bucharest, Romania. Rios went the full 90 in Uruguay’s 1-0 loss to Ecuador Friday evening. Uruguay next take on Argentina at Estadio Centenario in Montevideo, Uruguay on Oct. 15.
- ‘Keeper Sean Johnson will join the United States for the final FIFA World Cup Qualifying match on Oct. 15 against Panama at Estadio Rommel Fernandez in Panama City, Panama.
Chicago Fire 3 – 2 FC Dallas
Chicago Fire: Sean Johnson; Jalil Anibaba, Austin Berry, Bakary Soumare, Gonzalo Segares; Patrick Nyarko (Daniel Paladini 80’), Alex, Jeff Larentowicz ©, Dilly Duka (Wells Thompson 68’); Mike Magee (Logan Pause 82’), Juan Luis Anagono
Substitutes not used: Paolo Tornaghi; Hunter Jumper, Quincy Amarikwa, Chris Rolfe
FC Dallas: Chris Seitz; Zach Loyd, Stephen Keel, Matt Hedges, Jair Benitez (Kellyn Acosta 73’); Andrew Jacobson, Mauro Diaz (Kenny Cooper 12’), Jackson, Michel (Ramon Nunez 46’); Fabian Castillo, David Ferreira ©
Substitutes not used: Kyle Zobeck, Erick, Peter Luccin, Walker Zimmerman
CHI – Juan Luis Anangono (Mike Magee) 25’
CHI – Mike Mage (Alex) 42’
CHI – Jalil Anibaba (unassisted) 51’
FCD – Kenny Cooper (David Ferreira) 53’
FCD – Kenny Cooper (penalty kick) 75’
FCD – Jackson (caution) 22’
FCD – Fabian Castillo (caution) 84’
Referee: Kevin Stott
Assistants: Brian Poeschel, Brian Dunn
Fourth Official: Tyler Ploeger
Fourth Official: Tyler Ploeger