Chicago Fire Return To Buckeye State To Challenge Columbus Crew
A look at the week ahead for the Men in Red as they prepare for a clash arch-rivals Columbus
September 16, 2013
Chicago Fire Communications
FIRE TAKE ON LONG-TIME FOE COLUMBUS CREW AT CREW STADIUM
The Chicago Fire (11-11-6, 39 points) head to the Buckeye State to take on long-time Eastern Conference foe Columbus Crew (10-14-5, 35 points) at Crew Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 21 at 6:30 p.m. CT (My50/La Ley 107.9).
This is the third and final MLS match between the two squads this season. Jeff Larentowicz headed home the 83rd minute game-winner as the Fire defeated the Crew 1-0 at Toyota Park on April 20. After Federico Higuain converted a seventh minute penalty kick, the Men in Red were led by second half goals from Dilly Duka and Mike Magee to earn the 2-1 road victory at Crew Stadium on June 22.
The two sides also met in the fourth round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. After severe weather forced a one-day postponement, Mike Magee and Patrick Nyarko powered the Fire to a 2-1 victory June 13 at Toyota Park.
The Crew enter the match after a 2-1 road victory against the Montreal Impact Saturday evening, ending the Impact’s six-game home unbeaten streak.
With the Fire’s 3-2 victory over the New England Revolution Saturday evening, the Men in Red moved into fifth place in the Eastern Conference and currently hold the final playoff spot. The Fire have 39 points, tied with the Philadelphia Union, but with 11 wins to the Union’s 10, hold the first tiebreaker of most wins.
The Men in Red have a game in hand over the Union, who sit in sixth place, and also over the New York Red Bulls who currently sit in first place in the Eastern Conference.
The Fire’s Playoff Math can be found here.
CHICAGO FIRE TRAINING SCHEDULE: September 17 – September 23
Tuesday, Sept. 17 Training 9:30 a.m.*^
Wednesday, Sept. 18 Training 9:30 a.m.*^
Thursday, Sept. 19 Training 9:30 a.m.*^
Friday, Sept. 20 Training 11:30 a.m.*^
Depart for Columbus
Saturday, Sept. 21 Chicago Fire at Columbus Crew – Crew Stadium – 6:30 p.m. CT – My50/La Ley 107.9
Sunday, Sept. 22 MLS Reserve League – Chicago Fire vs. Columbus Crew – Obetz Training Center – 9:00 a.m. CT
Return to Chicago
Monday, Sept. 23 Off
*Training will take place on the Toyota Park Practice Field unless otherwise noted
^Times are approximate and subject to change. Fire players and coaches will be made available following training. If you plan on attending practice this week, please contact the Chicago Fire Communications Department for updated times and locations. Please contact Eunice Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org for media requests.
CHICAGO FIRE vs. Columbus Crew
- The Chicago Fire hold a 24-12-13 regular season record against the Columbus Crew, including a 10-7-6 record in matches played in Columbus.
- Fire midfielder Dilly Duka began his professional career with the Crew. After a standout collegiate career at Rutgers University, the Montville, N.J. product was selected in the first round (eight overall) of the 2010 MLS SuperDraft. In three seasons with the Crew, Duka scored two goals and tallied five assists in 45 matches. The Men in Red acquired Duka and the right of first refusal to midfielder Robbie Rogers in exchange for Dominic Oduro on Feb. 4, 2013.
- In 25 matches for the Men in Red, Duka has scored four goals and tallied two assists. Duka opened his Fire goal scoring account in the 52nd minute of the Fire’s 2-1 road with against the Crew on June 22.
- Current Crew forward Dominic Oduro spent the 2011 and 2012 seasons as a member of the Men in Red. In 66 regular season appearances, the Ghanaian striker scored 18 goals and tallied five assists. In 29 matches for the Crew this season, Oduro has scored a team-leading 10 goals.
- Crew defender Eric Gehrig and midfielder Ethan Finlay are products of the Chicago Fire PDL system.
- Two Fire players hail from the Buckeye state. Cincinnati, Ohio product Austin Berry was named 1st Team All State and Division III Southwest Ohio Player of the Year while playing all four seasons before graduating from Summit Country Day. Born in Kettering, Ohio, Fire forward Chris Rolfe matriculated to nearby University of Dayton where he concluded his collegiate career as sixth all-time at UD in goals with 31, and set UD’s single-season and career assist records with 10 in 2004 and 25 in his collegiate career.
- The Crew are the opponent the Rolfe has score against the most, with eight of his 48 regular season goals coming against the Crew.
CHICAGO FIRE SOCCER CLUB JOINS GREAT CHICAGO FIRE HYDRANTS ART EXHIBITION
The Chicago Fire Soccer Club has joined the Great Chicago Fire Hydrants project, a public art exhibition celebrating the heroism of Chicago’s firefighters.
The citywide program will feature 101 hydrants, symbolically representing each Chicago firehouse, that will be placed in various locations throughout the city. Along with the Fire, local businesses, artists, architects, fashion and interior designers have sponsored the hydrants that will be auctioned on Dec. 4, 2013 to benefit the 100 Club of Chicago, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting the families of fallen police and firefighters.
A 5-foot tall fiberglass fire hydrant, the Fire’s hydrant features two special features that appear on its rings. The top honors the seven members of the club’s Ring of Fire: Peter Nowak, Frank Klopas, Lubos Kubik, Peter Wilt, Bob Bradley, Chris Armas and C.J. Brown. While the club’s three tenets, Tradition. Honor. Passion, appear on the base ring
The Fire hydrant will be installed at the Hancock Plaza and will be on display through Nov. 11.
Additional information on the Great Chicago Fire Hydrants can be found here.
CHICAGO FIRE SOCCER CLUB ANNOUNCES FINAL THREE #cf97ThirdKit DESIGNS
The Chicago Fire Soccer Club that the Chicago Fire and The Quaker Oats Company, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, Inc., have chosen the final three designs for the #cf97ThirdKit design contest.
The club partnered with iconic jersey sponsor The Quaker Oats Company to launch the #cf97ThirdKit design contest, asking Fire supporters to submit designs for the jersey the Fire plans to unveil at the club’s Anniversary game in 2014. The club, along with Quaker Oats, selected the five best entries, which through a fan vote on www.Chicago-Fire.com were narrowed down to the final three designs.
The final round of voting on the top three designs, found here, is now open and will run to Friday, Sept. 20 at 11:59 p.m. CST. Fans can vote for their favorite design on www.Chicago-Fire.com up to ten times per e-mail address per day.
The winning design will become a part of Fire history and will be scheduled to make its debut for the Anniversary game in 2014, in addition to other future matchday opportunities. The winner will also receive round trip airfare and accommodations for two to attend the Fire’s match against the Portland Timbers in 2014, including a private tour of the adidas campus in Portland, an opportunity to meet with adidas jersey designers and $500.00 to spend at the adidas employee store. All five selected designers from the finalist round will receive two tickets to sit in the Chicago Fire’s Second Star Club for a Fire match.
Full #cf97ThirdKit rules and regulations can be found here.
CHICAGO FIRE TO HOST FIRST SOCCER & STYLE FASHION SHOW
The Chicago Fire Soccer Club will host a fashion show featuring Chicago Fire players and coaches at the first Soccer & Style event at ROOF on theWit (201 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60601) on Thursday, Sept. 19 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. CT.
Hosted by the Chicago Fire Foundation, Fire players will walk the runway in this season’s hottest looks from 900 North Michigan Shops, The Original Penguin, Diesel, Mezlan, Jainn, and Chicago Fire apparel while supporting a good cause.
Tickets to the event, which start at $50 for general admission and include a glass of Moet Hennessey champagne and $75 for an upgraded
VIP ticket that also includes a glass of Moet Hennessey champagne, in addition to reserved seating for the runway show, a gift bag, and a raffle ticket for an exclusive Wit hotel prize package can be purchased here.
For additional information, please visit www.Chicago-Fire.com or call 708-496-6751.