Chicago Fire Welcome Columbus Crew to Toyota Park For Fourth Round Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Battle
A look at the week ahead for the Fire as they prepare for a clash with the Crew
June 10, 2013
Chicago Fire Communications
CHICAGO FIRE CLASH WITH COLUMBUS CREW IN LAMAR HUNT U.S. OPEN CUP FOURTH ROUND MATCH AT TOYOTA PARK
The Chicago Fire (3-7-3, 12 points) shift their focus to the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup fourth round matchup against the Columbus Crew at Toyota Park on Wednesday, June 12 at 7:30 p.m. CT with the match streaming live on www.Chicago-Fire.com.
The Fire have previously faced the Crew three times in Open Cup play, emerging victorious in all three matches. In 1998, current Fire head coach Frank Klopas’ dramatic overtime goal gave the Fire the 2-1 victory to complete the Domestic Double on Oct. 30 at Soldier Field. The Fire defeated the Crew 2-1 in the fourth round of the storied tournament on July 20, 2004 at Crew Stadium. In the tournament play-in game on June 10, 2008, the Fire defeated the Crew 3-2 at Shea Stadium in Peoria, Ill.
Since 1998 the Fire have racked up an impressive 31-10-4 all-time record in Open Cup play, which has helped the squad reach the semi final round eight out of 15 times and the final six times. The Fire have previously hoisted the coveted Dewar Trophy four times, in 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2006. The 2006 title marked the ninth time a team from Chicago won the Open Cup and made the Fire one of six teams to capture the crown at least four times in the tournament's 100-year-long history.
CHICAGO FIRE TRAINING SCHEDULE: June 11 – June 17
Tuesday, June 11 Training 10:00 a.m.*^
Wednesday, June 12 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup – Chicago Fire vs. Columbus Crew – Toyota Park – 7:30 p.m. CT
Thursday, June 13 Off
Friday, June 14 Training 9:00 a.m.*^
Chicago Fire Reserves vs. Charlotte Eagles – 6:00 p.m. CT – Queens Sports Complex – Charlotte, N.C.
Saturday, June 15 Training 9:00 a.m.*^
Sunday, June 16 Off
Monday, June 17 Training 10:00 a.m.*^
*Training will take place on the Toyota Park Practice Field unless otherwise noted
^Times are approximate and subject to change. Fire players and coaches will be made available following training. Please contact the Chicago Fire Communications Department for updated times and locations. Please contact Eunice Kim for media requests.
Chicago Fire vs. Columbus Crew
- The Fire are 23-12-13 all-time against the Columbus Crew in MLS Regular Season play, including a 14-5-7 record in matches played at home.
- The Crew enter the match after a weekend off from MLS play. The Crew most recently fell 3-0 to the Philadelphia Union on June 5 at PPL Park in Chester, Pa.
- The Crew advanced with a 2-1 victory over the Dayton Dutch Lions in the third round of the Open Cup on May 29.
- Fire forward Mike Magee has scored in all three competitive matches in which he has appeared for the Fire.
- Fire midfielder Dilly Duka will welcome his former team when the Crew come to Toyota Park. Duka began his professional career with the Columbus Crew. After a standout collegiate career at Rutgers University, the Montville, N.J. product was selected in the first round (eight overall) of the 2010 MLS SuperDraft by the Crew. In three seasons with the Crew, Duka scored two goals and tallied five assists in 45 matches. The Men in Red acquired Duka on Feb. 4, 2013.
- Crew defender Eric Gehrig and midfielder Ethan Finlay are products of the Chicago Fire PDL system.
- Two Fire players hail from the Buckeye state. Cincinnati, Ohio product Austin Berry was named 1st Team All State and Division III Southwest Ohio Player of the Year while playing all four seasons before graduating from Summit Country Day. Born in Kettering, Ohio, Fire forward Chris Rolfe matriculated to nearby University of Dayton where he concluded his collegiate career as sixth all-time at UD in goals with 31, and set UD’s single-season and career assist records with 10 in 2004 and 25 in his collegiate career.
- This match marks the two year anniversary of Frank Klopas’ first win as coach of the Fire. Cristian Nazarit’s stoppage time goal in front of 400 traveling Fire supporters at Crew Stadium on June 12, 2011 gave Klopas, then the interim head coach, his first Fire coaching victory.
SEVEN FIRE PLAYERS NAMED TO THE 2013 AT&T MLS ALL-STAR GAME BALLOT
Major League Soccer announced today the seven Chicago Fire players that have been chosen for the fan ballot for the 2013 AT&T MLS All-Star game against Serie A side AS Roma on July 31 at Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kan. Fan voting is now open on www.MLSsoccer.com and via text message.
The Men in Red are represented on the fan ballot by goalkeeper Sean Johnson, defenders Jalil Anibaba and Austin Berry, midfielders Jeff Larentowicz, Mike Magee and Patrick Nyarko, and forward Chris Rolfe.
Larentowicz is the only Fire player on this year’s ballot with previous All-Star game experience, having represented the Rapids in 2010 when the MLS All-Stars hosted Manchester United at Reliant Stadium in Houston, Texas. Larentowicz played the second half as the MLS All-Stars fell 5-2 in front of a record crowd of 70,728 fans.
A panel of media members nominated a total of 115 players to the fan ballot. Fans may vote online HERE. Fans can also vote by sending a player’s last name via text message to 22442. Twitter voting will occur June 20-21.
Additional information on the 2013 AT&T MLS All-Star Game can be found here.
TICKETS FOR THE CHICAGO FIRE VS. COLUMBUS CREW LAMAR HUNT U.S. OPEN CUP FOURTH ROUND MATCH NOW ON SALE
Tickets for the Chicago Fire vs. Columbus Crew Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round match at Toyota Park on Wednesday, June 12 at 7:30 p.m. CT are now on sale.
Advance tickets for the match are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire, by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com or Ticketmaster. The Open Cup match will serve as Bonus Game 2 in the Fire Season Ticket and Ten Game packages.
The Fire advance to the fourth round of the storied tournament with a 2-0 victory over the Charlotte Eagles (USL-PRO) May 29 at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, S.C. Goals from Mike Magee and Chris Rolfe led the Men in Red to their first victory of the 100-year old tournament.
The Crew advanced with a 2-1 victory against USL-PRO side Dayton Dutch Lions on May 29 at Crew Stadium.
TICKETS FOR THE CHICAGO FIRE VS. CLUB AMERICA MATCH PRESENTED BY TRUECAR NOW ON SALE
Tickets for the Chicago Fire vs. Club América match Presented by TrueCar at Toyota Park on Wednesday, July 10 are now on sale.
Advance tickets for the match are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire, by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com or Ticketmaster. The international friendly will serve as Bonus Game 1 in the Fire Season Ticket and Ten Game packages. The first 5,000 fans in the gates will receive a TrueCar car magnet.
Las Águilas have captured eleven titles in Mexico’s Primera División and have also experience success in the CONCACAF region as well, tied with Cruz Azul as the most successful club in the region with five titles to their credit. América were also crowned champions of the 2008 InterLiga tournament, a competition between Mexican clubs to determine qualifying spots for the Copa Libertadores.
Recently crowned the Liga MX Clasura champions, América’s roster currently boasts Mexican international defender Efraín Juárez and Ecuadorian striker Christian Benitez. Juárez, a 25-year-old right back has been capped 39 times for El Tri, and started three matches in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. América also feature currently Liga MX goal scoring leader, Ecuadorian striker Christian Benitez.
CHICAGO FIRE TO HOST “FIRE, BREWS AND BITES” BEER TASTING EVENT
The Chicago Fire Soccer Club and the Chicago Fire Foundation will host the second annual "Fire, Brews and Bites" beer tasting event at Roots Pizza (1924 W. Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60622) on Saturday, June 15 from 1:30 - 3:30 p.m. CT.
Hosted by the Chicago Fire Foundation and presented by MillerCoors, the club has partnered with Roots Pizza for an afternoon filled with beer, food and fun. Guests will enjoy various selections from MillerCoors' unique portfolio while trying the selected paired food and a pizza buffet from Roots Pizza.
The beer selection from MillerCoors includes Redd’s Apple Ale, Third Shift, Henry Weinhard’s IPA, Blue Moon Agave Nectar, Big Eddy Rye Wheat Wine and Proximity.
Food will be provided by West Town restaurant Roots Pizza, which is co-owned by Greg Mohr and Scott Weiner. Roots specializes in Quad Cities-style hand-tossed pizza, and is known for their scratch-made mozzarella sticks, build-your-own salads, gourmet sausages, and sandwiches.
Tickets to the event, which start at $25 and benefit the Chicago Fire Foundation, can be purchased here or by calling 708-496-6751. Included in the price of a ticket are beer tasting, appetizers and a commemorative gift item.
CHICAGO FIRE SEASON AND INDIVIDUAL TICKETS ON SALE
Individual single game tickets for the club’s 16th MLS season at Toyota Park are now on sale.
One of the most affordable live events in the Chicagoland area, single game ticket prices start as low as $20 and can be purchased via Ticketmaster.