Thoughts on Saturday's 1-0 win over San Jose
The Fire closed out phase two of the team's preseason training camp Saturday night with a 1-0 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes in Santa Barbara, Calif. A few thoughts from the game...
WATCH: Postgame reaction to win vs. SJ
* It was nice to have Sean Johnson back, especially in the first half. The U.S. international thwarted several first half chances, making a few very nice stops to keep things scoreless heading into the break.
* It took a little time for wingers Dilly Duka and Patrick Nyarko, who both were making their preseason debuts, to get into the match but both did have good moments towards the end of the first half. Duka combined well with Gonzalo Segares a few times on the left while Nyarko put Joel Lindpere in alone on Jon Busch for the team’s best chance of the first half.
* Fresh off the Amtrak train from San Diego Saturday morning, former Quakes player Quincy Amarikwa, appeared as a guest player for the Fire and earned what would be the game winning penalty in the dying moments of the game.
* The former TFC and Rapids attacker also did well as the lone forward after Chris Rolfe and Sherjill MacDonald left the match. It will be interesting to see what the situation is with Amarikwa as the team heads to Charleston next week.
* Jeff Larentowicz continued to play well at the heart of midfield, stepping up to cut out a lot of traffic that came through. Also walked up without hesitation to take the winning penalty kick. New penalty taker in 2013…?
* With his insertion at the start of the second half, SuperDraft selection Yazid Atouba continues to impress, showing some speed, trickery and a willingness to take players on. If anyone has earned their way in Fire camp this year, it's been him.
* Overall with four starters making their first appearance of 2013 preseason, still has some rust to shake off but showed well in earning a 1-0 result.
It would be safe to expect a few players from this preseason camp won’t be making the trip to Charleston. Stay tuned to Chicago-Fire.com in the coming week for the Phase Three Training Camp roster.