Fire Head to Seattle
A raucous atmosphere and a sold out Qwest Field will set the scene as the Chicago Fire (6-6-6, 24 points) face their second consecutive Western Conference opponent and third match in eleven days when they head to Seattle to face Seattle Sounders FC (8-8-5, 29 points) at Qwest Field on Saturday, Aug. 28 at 9:30 PM CT (Comcast SportsNet).
The match marks the return of Freddie Ljungberg to the Emerald City. The former Sounder has made an immediate impact for the Fire, tallying three assists in his first four matches with the Men in Red. Since becoming the first Designated Player traded in MLS history, Ljungberg has sparked the Fire to a 2-1-1 record, helping the club to score eight goals over the course of the four-game span.
CHICAGO FIRE at Seattle Sounders FC
* This is the third meeting between the two clubs. The previous two tilts resulted in draws, the first, a 1-1 tie as Marco Pappa and Tyrone Marshall scored in the opening leg May 2, 2009 at TOYOTA PARK. Neither side found the back of the net as the Fire defense held strong in the 0-0 draw at Qwest Field July 25, 2009.
* Ljungberg is one of the founding members of Seattle Sounders FC. In Seattle's 2009 season, the dynamic midfielder led the club to their first MLS Cup Playoff appearance, tallying two goals and nine assists on his way to a MLS Best XI selection in his first year in the league.
* Fire forward Calen Carr returned from injury to tally two goals in his first two games back from a quadriceps injury. Before scoring the game winning goal in the Fire's 2-1 victory over New England Aug. 18, the fleet forward had not appeared in a regular season match since Oct. 17 of 2009. Ljungberg has played helper on both of Carr's goals.
* The Fire (18 games, 24 points) have played the least amount of MLS league games to date. The Fire (fourth place in the Eastern Conference) have games in hand on Eastern Conference leaders - Toronto FC (20 games, 26 points), Red Bull New York (21 games, 34 points) and Columbus Crew (21 games, 40 points).
* Chicago Fire defender Wilman Conde will miss Saturday's match due to Yellow Card suspension.
* The Fire are 5-0-2 when scoring the first goal and 1-6-3 when allowing the first goal.