Conde in no rush to commit to the Fire
HOUSTON – MLS All-Star defender Wilman Conde says he is in no rush to
make a decision on the Chicago Fire’s offer of a contract extension.
“We’ll be asking for God’s help to guide us in making the
best decision in this crucial moment in my career,” Conde said after Monday’s
All-Star practice at Robertson Stadium. “I’m waiting for everything to get back
to normal and with a cool head I’ll make the right decision for me and my
Last week Fire technical director Frank Klopas said the club
made a “very good” offer to Conde, whose current contract expires at the end of
the current season. Conde's agent echoed Klopas' evaluation when speaking with MLSsoccer.com.
“I don’t have to necessarily wait until the end of the
season,” Conde said. “I need to take it easy and think through things well and
see what Chicago is proposing and see what others offers are coming from overseas.”
MLSsoccer.com reported last week that the 27-year-old has attracted
interest from Argentine club River Plate along with others in Spain, France and
Mexico. Conde’s representative is former Fire player Diego Gutierrez.
Conde says that the conversations continue with the foreign
suitors but that nothing concrete has materialized.
In addition to being a career central defender, the
Colombian has also played spells at midfield for the Fire this season, as the
team has struggled with injuries and key absences. The addition of Mexican Designated
Player signing Nery Castillo, will boost a squad that still harbors hopes of a
“It’s been a bit complicated and difficult season for
Chicago,” Conde said. “From last year we lost four key players who left the
team and we’ve been carrying many injuries. We’re having a very inconsistent season
after three very strong seasons.
“We assume all the responsibility for this season and hope
that we can improve in the last 15 games and make it to the playoffs.”